How can Argentina qualify for the knockout round?
Argentina lost to Croatia 3-0 on Thursday, putting them in an incredibly difficult position to advance out of Group D. It also has people asking: Is Argentina out of the 2018 World Cup?
After two games, Argentina sits on one point. Croatia is at six points with two games played. Iceland has one point, and Nigeria have zero points, and they play tomorrow.
So for Argentina to get out of this group, they need a few things to happen.
- Iceland ties or loses to Nigeria tomorrow.
Croatia then needs to beat or tie Iceland.
- Argentina needs to beat Nigeria.
All three of those things happening will allow Argentina to advance.
If Iceland beats Nigeria tomorrow, there is still an outside chance that Argentina could sneak in, but for that to happen it would rely on them beating Nigeria and then Iceland losing to Croatia, and then it would come down to a tiebreaker, since both teams would be on four points.
Goal difference would decide it at that point, and if goal difference is the same, then it will go to yellow cards, of which Argentina has more than a few. (That is the true chaos scenario.)
If none of the above happens, Argentina is eliminated.
Argentina isnât dead quite yet, but they need some help if Lionel Messi and Co. want to get out of this. And if youâre wondering about the situation for any other team, this is how all the World Cup group stage tiebrea kers work.
Next Up In Soccer
- Croatia beat Argentina by turning the game into a fight
- The 6 goals of World Cup Day 8, ranked
- Did Lionel Messi fail his team? Or did he never have a chance to succeed?
- Everything you need to follow the 2018 World Cup
- Argentina is winning the World Cup of sadness
- Croatia dismantles Lionel Messi and Argentina, wins 3-0